Friday 12 April 2013

Black Beans

Over the last couple of years, I have totally reconsidered and adjusted the way I eat. Looking back, it seems easy, but I think that is because I did it by degrees. Briefly, I cut out, one by one, the bad habits (soda, fried food, fast food, starchy foods) and started replacing them with good habits (robust, healthy breakfast, lots of good foods like beans, yogurt, vegetables, fruits, nuts, water, garlic, healthy oils, quinoa, chia). I also ate somewhat less all the way around and tried to get my heart rate up early and often.
You might have noticed "beans" in my list of good habits. I didn't think of beans as 'good' or 'bad' until I started seeking out protein sources, but it turns out that beans are one of the healthiest, most nutritious foods available to us. I started eating black beans when I moved to Austin in 1994 and developed a taste for them ever since. Looking back, I remember my pal Peter Keane eating tons of black beans and rice back then. I worked in restaurants that made good use of them, and never suffered any ill effects, so that's where I started.
I know about 50% of my readership is going to say "Oh I can't eat black beans, they give me gas" or something to that effect. Stop! I suggest giving them another chance. There are a couple reasons that black beans can mess with your digestive tract. The first is that they were not prepared in a way that exhausts the gas. If you drain and rinse them and cook them for a long time, uncovered, the gas will escape before it gets in your stomach.
The other reason is one of the great reasons for eating them: black beans stabilize your digestive tract and aid in digestion. BUT if you have been eating a steady diet of Whoppers and fries, you can expect to have some negative feeling impacts when you start cleaning it out. Blaming black beans for intestinal distress is like blaming Windex for the dirt on your windows. If you are making changes to your diet, take it slow and don't be surprised when your body responds.
I'm going to include a simple and delicious way to enjoy black beans below but I have a few more easy suggestions if you want to make a positive change to your diet. Eat Greek yogurt for breakfast with some nuts, berries, granola mixed in. The live acidopholus in Greek yogurt also has a great effect on your digestive tract. Greek yogurt is widely available, I recommend Greek Gods, either 'Honey' or 'Vanilla' or get 'Plain' and mix in some local honey (great to combat seasonal allergies). The 'Plain' is also a great substitute for sour cream in your black beans!
Bill's Black Beans
Two cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
One can of Rotel tomatoes and chilis with juice
Tablespoon of ground cumin
Teaspoon of black pepper
Salt to taste
Add avocado or sour cream/greek yogurt or queso fresco or feta or any combination
Cook the beans and Rotel for an hour or more, add a little oil or water if it gets too thick. First bring them to a boil, then simmer until you are ready to eat them. Add the cumin, pepper and salt toward the end of the process. I put hot sauce in for heat.
Also, you can toss in a cup of corn, peas, kale, carrots...
I like to serve this over a quinoa pilaf, though wild rice would be a great alternative.
I'm guessing this meal will cost less than $5 and will serve 3 or 4. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment